Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Be who you are and say what you feel...

I realized tonight (with the help of a friend) that I keep a lot of my opinion and beliefs to myself.  I think I do this more because I'm worried that someone may disagree or challenge my statements more than because I may be wrong.  I discovered that when it comes to a work I've created I am totally open and accepting of constructive criticism and critique because it's not a critique of me as a human but rather on something I've produced.  A friend asked me what I was saying about something in a paper; totally challenging.  After some conversation I was able to verbally express my opinions and beliefs but was apprehensive to do so to be honest.  It's my opinion though right? Same as being on paper, only I'm actually saying it.  I don't know where it's come from but I totally have a fear of expressing my opinion/beliefs about something and having someone completely tear it down.  In class I keep relatively quiet unless absolutely necessary for fear of someone having something negative to say about what I've just said.  I don't know how this differs so drastically from created works, but it does.

I'm making the decision to live by some fabulous words from Dr. Seuss: "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

I'm reminding myself that my opinions are valid and valuable.  I'm growing in that I can allow myself the chance to make mistakes and not always have the right answer, as long as I know what I believe.  My life has been a journey of development.  Who I am, where i've been, and what I believe are all a result of my life experiences and there is nothing wrong with them.

This week I'm deciding to voice my opinion when appropriate as long as I'm ready and able to support my argument.  I'm also learning to separate product value from personal value and not take critique as anything more than suggestions for the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment